Spicy peanut butter hummus lays the foundation for these healthy, protein spiked steak tacos that get a big flavor hit from Villa Jerada's delicious spice mix. The Shawarma meets the taco, a match made in mealtime heaven. Credit to our friends over at Mantry for this recipe! Check out their subscription boxes for a special guy in your life.
- 2 lbs. hangar or flank steak
- 1-2 tablespoons Villa Jerada Shawarma Spice
- peanut hummus (recipe here)
- 1 tomato diced
- 1/2 red onion sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- olive oil
- tortillas or flat breads
- Rub steak in a coat of shawarma spice and olive oil. you can leave it for at least 20 minutes at room temperature or refrigerate overnight to marinate.
- To quick pickle the onions, mix with vinegar, 2 tablespoons olive oil a pinch of shawarma spice (1/4 teaspoon) and let sit for 20 mins or more.
- Mix tomatoes and parsley with a glug of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak over medium heat, slice thinly, season with salt.
- Warm tortillas on a grill or in a dry pan for 30 seconds.
- Top tortillas with a dollop of peanut hummus, the tomato mixture, slices of steak and pickled onions.
Pro Tip: Prep everything a couple of hours ahead for easy cooking and assembly!